Thursday, October 7, 2010

Learning to Knit

I've been desperately trying to learn how to knit (and/or crochet).  Its all a part of wanting to be surrounded by all things warm and fuzzy.  But knitting is hard to pick up.  I had tried years ago and didn't get too far.  So I searched online to see if there were any knitting classes or circles I could join- and there weren't.  I would have to drive miles (which in LA could equal hours) to get to where I needed to go.  The whole point is to add something calming and pleasurable to my life- and sitting in traffic would not accomplish that.  So, I put an ad on Craigslist to see if there were any people in my area who would want to get together to knit- I wanted to start my own knitting circle.  I got one response, from a guy, whose email contained a couple of red flags- so the group never came to be.

I had to take matters into my own hands- I checked out a book from the downtown library.  The book is great! Loads of step by step photos and great explanations... but for a real beginner, a book alone is a difficult way to get a feel for the needles.  I needed to see someone's hands! I needed them to show me exactly what to do.  I needed a class!

Just as I was about to give up hope, I got an email from my law school.  A couple of the professors were going to start a knitting circle on campus, along with instruction and demonstrations for beginners.  Whaaa? I was super excited by this awesome coincidence!! Finally, there's something to like about law school!

I went to my first meeting yesterday.  It was so much fun- made even better since one of my best law school friends was there too.  I learned the garter stitch- and casting on (although I may need to revisit casting on to make sure I am doing it right).  I had to use a pair of the professor's needles since the ones that I brought to the class- the ones that I had bought years ago- are apparently best suited for very fine lace work and not for beginners.  I have just ordered a new pair of needles online. These beauties:
Straight Harmony needles from KnitPicks
I've decided that my first project is going to be a scarf for my mom.  This weekend I will go pick out some nice yarn (I wanted a natural fiber, but I was told to go for acrylic for my first few projects- more forgiving).  I am sure there are some nice acrylic yarns out there- I want to give her something in autumnal colors.  So I will post more as the project gets off the ground!

No comments:

Post a Comment