Monday, November 8, 2010

Bed Time Stories!


Boy am I lucky-- my husband really knows how to make me happy in bed! (Yes, that was meant to catch your attention but now you've got to get your mind out of the gutter!)  Almost every night for the last couple of months, Matt has read out loud to me. Sometimes a whole chapter, sometimes just a few pages, but every time it was great.  Matt wanted to reread the last Harry Potter book before the movie comes out and I asked if he would read it to me... at first he wasn't so into the idea (he read several of the first 6 books out loud to me over the past years and I think he thought I was 'over' it).  With a little convincing (whining) he agreed. And I think underneath the initial complaining he really enjoyed it too.  

He rose to the occasion and performed the book- voices and accents and all. Once in a while he ad libbed--  and a couple of times it was funny :)  We'd both laugh when he charged through a line in Hagrid's voice only to find the words "said Hermione" following it- or when he would shout out some line of dialog with enthusiasm and see afterwards that the character whispered or mumbled it under their breath.  I love the way he reads McGonagall and Seamus, and he's a natural at delivering Fred and George's lines. He makes Ron sound like he has a horrible cold, but I have gotten used to that over the years.  

So of course I love the story he read-- Deathly Hallows always makes me laugh and cry and feel anxious and relieved-- but honestly, I would love it if Matt read me the phone book before bed. There is something very special about curling up together and hearing him speak and both of us thinking about the same thing in the same moment.  Its a very happy way to end the day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment